Thursday, 9 June 2011

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Couldn't get to sleep after knowing my results. What better to do when you can't sleep? Complete Call of Duty: Black Ops of course.

Well, I stink at multiplayer so I'm talking about singleplayer here anyway.

I think the singleplayer mode is quite cool. But why did they have to make the controls at the main menu so.. console? Maybe they thought that having a cursor there would spoil the immersion level of the player but there's a pointer visible (and a very prominent one at that) in the cutscenes!

I mean come on, obviously we are not playing as the protagonist when we are at the main menu screen, if we are, there must be a Kinect somewhere built in to detect his head movement or something...

Right, just wanted to whine a little(maybe a bit more than that) now lets get to the part I like.

I like the story. Basically, you are Capt. Alex Mason, a SOG operative. In the main menu screen, Mason is shown to be bound to a medical-looking chair with all those computer screens surrounding him which he seem to be hooked up to. There's even an IV pack beside him. Now the game carries on from here when you select to start a new campaign.

The story is told through the memories of Mason and sometimes of his handler, CIA agent Chris (? Can't remember) Hudson. He is shown to have been through many missions all over the world, most of them being clandestine in nature.

One feature I liked about Black Ops is that the loading screen is some sort of cutscene without any sort of loading bar. It took me a few missions before I realised that that video I've just watched is the loading screen.

I was a little bit disoriented at first with the aiming system of Black Ops. It might be similar to other Call of Duty games but my memory is failing me. However, it does make the game that more realistic.

That might be realistic but being unable to take out a squad of 20 soldiers at one mission then being able to take out a building full of them does not sound(or look) realistic to me. Oh yes, and being ordered around by your sergeant just makes you look incompetent and having bought your rank from the beach road over at the USA.

Now to finally start on Dragon Age..

No comments:

Post a Comment